The Literacy Center staff includes the Reading Specialist, Marcie Redden, Early Intervention teacher, Leigh Eppinger, Literacy Tutors Barbara McBrien and Mary Ann Muccino. In the Literacy Center, students are taught the skills and strategies necessary to access grade level content in a small group setting. They are instructed in the areas of phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension in order to become independent, strategic readers.
- Phonemic Awareness - the ability to orally compose a sequence of sounds and manipulate these sounds to form words.
- Phonics - the ability to recognize the relation between written language (letters) and spoken language (sounds).
- Fluency - the ability to read orally with speed, accuracy and proper expression (prosody). It is the bridge between word recognition and comprehension.
- Vocabulary - the ability to use words orally and in written communication by applying word meaning effectively. There are four types of vocabulary: listening and speaking (oral), reading and writing.
- Comprehension - the ability to apply meaning to what is read. It is a strategic process that enables readers to make connections and move beyond literal recall.
We will delve deeper into each of these five areas of reading and provide engaging activities
that you can use with your children at home to support their learning. Currently, all Charter Oak students have access to Lexia online. Lexia Reading Core 5 is a web-based, individualized reading curriculum for PreK through Grade 5 students to practice and learn foundational reading skills. This site can be accessed by clicking here.
Other great, free websites are listed below. Have fun and keep reading!
Storyline Online http://www.storylineonline.net
Read to Me http://readtomelv.com
We Give Books http://wegivebooks.org
International Children’s Digital Library http://en.childrenslibrary.org/
National Geographic Young Explorers http://ngexplorer.cengage.com/ngyoungexplorer/index.html
TumbleBooks http://tumblebooks.com (free access through the following public library sites) http://www.tcpclibrary.org/
I attended the University of Connecticut and Central Connecticut State University. I have a MA in Education, Bilingual/Bicultural Education, and a 6th year in Reading and Language Arts. I have been teaching for 18 years. I am also a wife and proud mother of two boys; ages 12 and 9.